Monday, September 8, 2014

My "Little House On The Prairie" dreams

Immigrating to the U.S. at the age of 7 with little to no knowledge of the english language, my priority was to learn the language. So while children my age were reading books like The Magic School Bus and Charlottes Web, I was just beginning to learn my ABC’s. It took me some time to get to the level of reading that was acceptable for my age but I still had trouble understanding or relating to books with certain lifestyles. The all American lifestyle was very new to me and it took some time to take it in. I had a late start in reading children or young adult books but when I did, one series that resinated with me was Laura Ingalls: Little House On The Prairie
Little House On The Prairie was my all time favorite novel. As a child I dreamt of that era and being part of the pioneer life and at times wondered if that was my previous life. When my friends were watching TRL, I was watching Little House On The Prairie (and I was made fun of for doing that). I was so intrigued by the lifestyle and the closeness the family had with one another. I remember sitting down with my grandmother and asking her questions about her childhood, school, marriage and just every day life, but no one expressed it quite like Laura Ingalls Wilder. 
I still remember when Laura Ingalls got married and continued to think about it when I was getting married. My memory of the series is a bit hazy but I do remember Laura’s husband getting sick and having to be put in a tub of ice cold water. I think about that scene all the time and I am fascinated by the advances in medicine. I still read books about previous time periods like Tuck Everlasting and The Secret Garden. Little House On The Prairie is what started my interest in the pioneer life and the times where iPhone was non-existent. I am looking forward to taking another dive into LHOP as an adult and interested in finding out if it will still intrigue me. 

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Little House on the Prairie as a child too. It was the first memory I have of struggling to read a book by myself. I thought it was interesting that you enjoyed Little House on the Prairie when you moved to the U.S., since the Little House and the Prairie series follows Laura and her family as they move to new places. Maybe you subconsciously identified with Laura's life. I recently read a book called The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie, by Wendy McClure. It is about her love and personal research of Laura and the Little House on the Prairie series. Maybe you would enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, that is very interesting, I have never thought about it that way. I actually do not remember them moving around too much (I guess its been a REALLY long time) but you could be right. It was very hard being new and so foreign and maybe in a way I did relate to it. I will definitely keep The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie, by Wendy McClure on my reading list. Thank you for your response Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Saad,

    As the son of immigrant parents, I completely understand the struggle of explaining a letter, book, or even sign to parents who are adapting to a new language. For this I say Kudos to you!

    I must admit, I have never had a fascination with either the novel nor the long-running television show. It did not appeal to inner desires as a child nor does it today as an adult. I see what Emily was referring when stating that you vicariously lived through Laura as you read the novel.

    All in all, great piece!

    -Sir Beambranch III

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its interesting how everyone relates to so many different things. My siblings used to fight with me when I would have it on because they described it as the worst thing they could ever watch but I loved it. I actually just purchased the series on amazon and I can't wait to spend hours just watching it. Maybe when you read the book you will be asking to borrow the series from me.

    ReplyDelete